[Insight-users] Installed ITK not found automatically by CMake?

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 14:07:45 EDT 2011

Hi all,

If I build ITK in /home/doriad/build/ITK, and then in my .bashrc add:

export ITK_DIR=/home/doriad/build/ITK

when I start a new terminal and configure a project that needs ITK, it is
found no problem - all is well.

However, if I then install ITK (make install) to /home/doriad/bin (set with
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX), and add to .bashrc:

export PATH=/home/doriad/bin/:$PATH
export PATH=/home/doriad/bin/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/ddoria/bin/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export C_INCLUDE_PATH=/home/doriad/bin/include:$C_INCLUDE_PATH
export CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH=/home/doriad/bin/include:$CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH

and then in a new terminal try again with a clean folder of the project, ITK
is not found:

 CMake Error at Examples/CMakeLists.txt:19 (message):
   Cannot build without ITK.  Please set ITK_DIR.

I then tried setting ITK_DIR in the project's ccmake to /home/doriad/bin,
but then I get this error:

 CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindITK.cmake:90 (INCLUDE):
   include could not find load file:

     /home/doriad/bin/ITKConfig.cmake

Am I missing something to have the ITK that is installed to a location on my
PATH be automatically found?

Thanks,

David