[Insight-users] Question about Fast Marching Minimal Path Extraction in ITK

Olga C Avila-Montes ocamcaro at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 12:14:20 EDT 2011

Hi everyone!
I have a question regarding the Insight Journal publication here:
http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/213

I have to segment a tubular structure and the first step is to get and
approximated centerline.
For this I have start, end and some way points. I want the path to reach the
start and end points, and use the way points to guide the minimal path.
Since I want the way points to be used as soft constrains, I'm using a big
termination value. The problem is that my path falls short on reaching the
start and end points. On the contrary, if I use a small termination value,
the path reaches the start and end points, but is forced as well to pass
exactly by my way points and I don't want this because it might cause my
curve to loose smoothness if the way points are slightly off.

What is the general practice in this case? should I, for example, use a big
termination value and just connect the path to my start and end points with
a straight line? or is there something else I can do to solve this problem?

Thanks!!

-----
Olga C Avila-Montes
Research Assistant, Computational Biomedicine Lab (www.cbl.uh.edu)
Dept. of Computer Science, University of Houston, Houston, TX 77204-3010