[Insight-users] How to show dicoms with vtk (ImageToVTKImageFilter)

John Drozd john.drozd at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 22:02:26 EDT 2011

Hi,

When I am unsure about the pixel type, I load the dicom image into 3D Slicer
(freely available at www.slicer.org), and click the Display and Info Tab
which shows the pixel type.  Then when I code in ITK, I use that pixel
type.  I hope this helps you.  Slicer will display the dicom image using the
correct pixel type and tell you what the pixel type is.

Take care,
John

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 10:25 PM, soheilghafurian <soheilghafurian at yahoo.com
> wrote:

> My problem is I load a dicom file and I try to show it through vtk by
> ImageToVTKImageFilter. But the result is kind of distorted. I think the
> problem is because the pixeltype is not good, but when I use another type,
> get this message when the program is running:
>
> ERROR: In ..\..\Rendering\vtkImageActor.cxx, line 267
> vtkOpenGLImageActor (058C5340): This filter requires unsigned char scalars
> as input
>
> Could anyone help me on how I should solve this problem? here is the code:
>
> int main()
> {
>        char *fName = fl_file_chooser("Pick the fixed dicom Image", "*.dcm",
> ".");
>      if(fName == NULL) return 0;
>
>          typedef itk::Image< unsigned char, 2> ImageType;
>  typedef itk::ImageFileReader<ImageType>             ReaderType;
>  typedef itk::ImageToVTKImageFilter<ImageType>       ConnectorType;
>
>  ReaderType::Pointer reader = ReaderType::New();
>  ConnectorType::Pointer connector = ConnectorType::New();
>
>  reader->SetFileName(fName);
>  reader->Update();
>  connector->SetInput(reader->GetOutput());
>

>  vtkSmartPointer<vtkImageActor> actor =
>    vtkSmartPointer<vtkImageActor>::New();
> //  actor->SetInput(connector->GetOutput());
>  actor->SetInput(connector->GetOutput());
>
>  vtkSmartPointer<vtkRenderer> renderer =
>    vtkSmartPointer<vtkRenderer>::New();
>  renderer->AddActor(actor);
>  renderer->ResetCamera();
>
>  vtkSmartPointer<vtkRenderWindow> renderWindow =
>    vtkSmartPointer<vtkRenderWindow>::New();
>  renderWindow->AddRenderer(renderer);
>
>  vtkSmartPointer<vtkRenderWindowInteractor> renderWindowInteractor =
>    vtkSmartPointer<vtkRenderWindowInteractor>::New();
>  vtkSmartPointer<vtkInteractorStyleImage> style =
>    vtkSmartPointer<vtkInteractorStyleImage>::New();
>
>  renderWindowInteractor->SetInteractorStyle(style);
>
>  renderWindowInteractor->SetRenderWindow(renderWindow);
>  renderWindowInteractor->Initialize();
>
>  renderWindowInteractor->Start();
>
>  return EXIT_SUCCESS;
> }
>

> --

John Drozd
Post-Doctoral Fellow, Robarts Research Institute
The University of Western Ontario
London, ON, Canada
http://publish.uwo.ca/~jdrozd2/index.htm