[Insight-users] Binary image to Mesh / Mesh to Binary image

Olga C. Avila-Montes ocamcaro at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 18:34:08 EDT 2011

Hi!
So here is the thing. . .I have a segmentation in a 3D binary mask (let's
call it original) and then obtained its mesh
using itkBinaryMask3DMeshSource, finally I stored the itk mesh in a .vtk
file using itkVTKPolyDataWriter.
Everything good so far.
Then I created another function that reads the .vtk file into an itk mesh
using itkVTKPolyDataReader, I get the 3D binary mask (let's call it output)
from the mesh using itkTriangleMeshToBinaryImageFilter and store it as a
.mhd file.
Here is the problem: when I load both my original and the output binary
masks, I'm expecting them to be exactly the same BUT the last slice of my
output volume turns out to be all zeros. I'm attaching an image that
hopefully will describe what's happening better. . .
Does anybody knows what is causing this? and how to solve it?
Thanks a lot!

Olga C Avila-Montes
Research Assistant, Computational Biomedicine Lab (www.cbl.uh.edu)
Dept. of Computer Science, University of Houston, Houston, TX 77204-3010
Email: ocamcaro at gmail.com