[Insight-users] question about image and mesh interaction

Alexander Taghva alextaghva at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 10:22:28 EST 2011

Hello,
I am relatively new to ITK so I apologize if this is a basic question.  I am
working on implementing an algorithm to extract the brain from non-brain on
an MRI.  In order to do this, I am using a deformable mesh model.
Specifically, I am using RegularSphereMeshSource and expanding it to match
the image.  There are a few things I am trying to figure out how to do
efficiently:

1. Calculate statistics (e.g. median intensity) for all image points inside
the mesh.

2. Iterate through the mesh to figure out all points connected to any given
vertex (when I implemented the algorithm in Matlab/C++ mex files, I built an
adjacency list for each vertex).

3. Extract the final brain image (specifically, label all points outside the
mesh 0) after deformation.

Sorry for the length of this post.  Thanks for your help.