[Insight-users] Concept for edting segmented mask images

Dawood Masslawi masslawi at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 12:31:56 EST 2011

I have worked with the Canny edge detector in the ITK and the results were good.
The Affine transformation supports shearing but not inflation unless you can treat the
inflation as a linear scaling which means that if you need to inflate the contours
non-linearly this transformation function is probably not the way to do it. In that case
you can use the B-Spline deformable transformation (easier with a warping model
rather than setting the B-Spline coefficients) or the kernel transforms (need landmarks).
I think  using the Affine transform will save you a lot of headache and extra
work, so use that one if it suits your application.
You can make the transformation interactive by changing the transformation parameters
based on user input or use the kernel transforms which require a set of landmarks. There
are plenty of code samples available in the "examples" directory of the ITK for all of the
aforementioned approaches and of course the software guide has further details,
documentation-wise :)
You can generate a mask image using the ImageMaskSpatialObject, a sample code
is included in the "examples" directory of the ITK (Examples\SpatialObjects\
ImageMaskSpatialObject.cxx).
Let us know if you had anymore problems.
HTH,
Dawood