[Insight-users] ITK optimizers

Stefan Klein s.klein at erasmusmc.nl
Fri Mar 11 11:22:12 EST 2011

Hi Giovani,

There is a paper by Maes et al, who compared several optimizers for
rigid registration:

F. Maes, D. Vandermeulen, and P. Suetens, "Comparative evaluation
of multiresolution optimization strategies for multimodality image
registration by maximization of mutual information," Med. Image Anal.,
vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 373–386, 1999

A comparison of optimization methods for nonrigid methods was published in:

S. Klein, M. Staring and J.P.W. Pluim, "Evaluation of optimization
methods for nonrigid medical image registration using mutual information
and B-splines," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 16, pp.
2879-2890, 2007

(which is my own paper :) )

I used ITK code for this, but in the end I rewrote a couple of
optimizers, or changed some small things, so strictly speaken it's not a
comparison of "ITK-optimizers".

Kind regards,
Stefan