[Insight-users] variable voxel spacing and anisotropic diffusion

Mauro Maiorca mauromaiorca at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 03:57:50 EDT 2011

Hello Itk-users,

I'm successfully using anisotropic diffusion filters on n-dimension volumes.
Unfortunately, many of my volumes don't have uniform voxel spacing. In
fact, in the simplest 3D scenario (n=3, x1=x, x2=y, x3=z) I can
summarise the voxel spacing within my images with a function f:R^3->R,
where df/dx=0, df/dy=0 df/dz=k (k constant). I was wondering whether
there is a way to apply diffusion parameters independently for each
dimension, or according to some sort of mask.
If negative, can you please point me to the quickest/cleanest way to
implement it within ITK (i.e. which files I need to modify, etc)? I'm
more then happy to share the code (InsightJournal) if other people
might be interested on this.

thanks a lot,
Mauro