[Insight-users] CT Artifact Segmentation

Neil Panjwani paniwani at gmail.com
Tue May 31 01:58:16 EDT 2011

I like the MRF for its ability to apply spatial coherence to improve the
segmentation, but I'm not entirely sure if it'll work with my specific
problem (or at least the way I have it set up). My problem is that 3 of my
classes are boundary classes (i..e stool-tissue vs. just stool).

As air (-1000 HU) transitions to stool (1000 HU) it crosses the range for
tissue (0 HU). Because of this, the intensity of stool-air voxels closely
mimics tissue and confuses the intensity average used in the distance metric
of the MRF.

Can the MRF deal with "unclassified" voxels? Or does it only improve an
existing, complete segmentation?

How can I avoid treating the boundaries as distinct classes? Can I use a
mask in some way?