[Insight-users] Working with RescaleIntensityImageFilter in XCode

Rupinder Singh rupinder.singh123 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 1 01:03:23 EDT 2011

I'm having difficulty understanding why the following function throws an
exception at 'writer->Update()' whenever it's called.

const     unsigned int    Dimension = 2;
typedef   unsigned char   InputPixelType;
typedef   unsigned char   OutputPixelType;

typedef itk::Image< InputPixelType,    Dimension >   InputImageType;
typedef itk::Image< OutputPixelType,   Dimension >   OutputImageType;

void saveITKImage(InputImageType *image)
{
   typedef  itk::RescaleIntensityImageFilter< InputImageType,
OutputImageType > CastFilterType;
   typedef  itk::ImageFileWriter< InputImageType >
WriterType;

   WriterType::Pointer      writer = WriterType::New();
   CastFilterType::Pointer  caster = CastFilterType::New();

   writer->SetFileName("/Users/usr/Desktop/test.jpg");
   caster->SetOutputMinimum(   0 );
   caster->SetOutputMaximum( 255 );

   // Define Pipeline
   caster->SetInput( image );
   writer->SetInput( caster->GetOutput() );
   writer->Update();

   return;
}

I know I'm doing something right because the following bit of code works perfectly when called.

void saveITKImage(InputImageType *image)
{
   typedef  itk::ImageFileWriter< InputImageType > WriterType;

   WriterType::Pointer  writer = WriterType::New();

   writer->SetFileName("/Users/usr/Desktop/test.jpg");

   // Define Pipeline
   writer->SetInput( image);
   writer->Update();

   return;