[Insight-users] Multithreading

Sergio Aguirre sergio.aguirre at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 01:23:43 EDT 2011

Hi everyone,

I am interested in understanding a bit more about implementing Multithreading
in ITK - specially on using the tools already implemented in ITK.

So as I understand it, multithreading IS supported by ITK and some filters
are already implemented to generate multilpe threads and are listed here
http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/group__MultiThreaded.html

However, I am confused as another presentation states that you need to
implement your own multithreaded filters using a callback structure *
http://www.na-mic.org/Wiki/images/2/24/Insight-MultiThreading.ppt*
*
*
My questions are:

1 - What is the way to implement multithreading on ITK? through a callback
function? is multithreading something that you can activate on an ITK filter
by calling a member function (say ThreadedGenerateData() ) or both???
2 - I was planning on trying to speedup my large DICOM series reads (1200+
slices) using ITKImageSeriesReader's memberfunctions
e.g. ThreadedGenerateData() - can readers be implemented in multithreading?
3 - Is there an example code that shows how to try out multithreading?

Any help in pointing me in the right direction to get clarity is
appreciated.
Thank you,
Sergio