[Insight-users] Rgb image bright and contrast adjust

Dan Mueller dan.muel at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 23:48:25 EDT 2011

Hi Liqin,

According to Wikipedia (reliability questionable), GIMP uses the
following formula:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_editing

if (brightness < 0.0)  value = value * ( 1.0 + brightness);
else value = value + ((1 - value) * brightness);
value = (value - 0.5) * (tan ((contrast + 1) * PI/4) ) + 0.5;

where value is the input color value in the 0..1 range and brightness
and contrast are in the -1..1 range.

I have implemented this formula in my own applications, and it seems
to work quite well.

HTH

Cheers, Dan