[Insight-users] how to merge commits to release branch?

Xiaoxiao Liu xiaoxiao.liu at kitware.com
Wed Apr 4 11:21:30 EDT 2012

In another word,  the existence of release branch could be somewhat
transparent to regular developers,
(no development routines needed to be changed), and gate keepers (like
Matt)  then could hand pick them
to release branches as needed.

Sounds good to me.
Thanks!

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 11:11 AM, Brad King <brad.king at kitware.com> wrote:

> On 4/4/2012 11:06 AM, Xiaoxiao Liu wrote:
>
>> I tried gerrit-push first actually, but gerrit tends to recognize the
>> branch
>> as "master" (appear on the gerrit item page)
>> even you start from release. See http://review.source.kitware.**
>> com/#/c/4872/ <http://review.source.kitware.com/#/c/4872/>.
>>

> It doesn't matter what Gerrit thinks.  Gerrit does not compute the
> merge into release.  In our setup it's only interested in master.
> The release branch is always contained inside master so when Matt
> merges something to release he must also merge release into master
> and push them both.  At that point Gerrit will see that the commit
> is reachable from master and mark it as merged.
>
> If you know what you're doing then you're welcome to manually
> push to refs/for/release but I don't want to make that part of
> the instructions.  It is not necessary and is more complicated.
>
> -Brad

*Xiaoxiao Liu*, Ph.D.
R & D Engineer
Kitware Inc <http://www.kitware.com/>.
Clifton Park, NY
Phone: (518) 881-4924  or  (518) 371-3971 x124