[Insight-users] Extract centerlines from a 3D segmented binary image

Dan Mueller dan.muel at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 08:11:04 EDT 2012

Hi superZZ,

To reiterate my first email: this method is a little tricky due to the
need for a _good_ speed function. A good speed function has high
values (~1.0) near the centerline and low values (0.0) away from the
centerline.

A distance map can be used generate such a speed function, but the
output of the distance map is _NOT_ the speed function: the distance
map requires further processing!

Here are the steps I used to quickly generate a speed function
(commands are in SharpImage syntax, a custom prototyping environment
of mine, but you should be able to work out what is happening):

SignedMaurerDistance
SmoothingRecursiveGaussian Sigma=1.0
Threshold Lower=-10 Upper=100 OutsideValue=-10
RescaleIntensityToF OutputMinimum=0.0 OutputMaximum=1.0
UnaryPixelMath Operation="Power" Exponent=3

The results look acceptable to me (see attached).

HTH

Cheers, Dan