[Insight-users] Resample filter extremely slow after switching from 32 bit to 64 bit on Windows 7

Erik Agterhuis erik.agterhuis at resolutionbc.com
Wed Apr 18 15:47:36 EDT 2012

Dear all,

I had a nice resample filter running as part of a 32 bit application on
windows7. It did the

very simple job of 'upsampling' a 3D MRI dataset to a higher resolution
using a nearest neighbour

interpolator. Worked like a charm!

Since I kept running into memory allocation bounds elsewhere in the
application, I just recompiled everything to 64 bit, using VC++

Express 2010. The application runs fine but the resample filter has become
extremely slow

(I'm talking 30 minutes versus 30 seconds!).

Since I read earlier postings about avoiding debug mode, I made sure to
stick to release mode. Just

added debug information (program database mode). I have traced the problem
down to the

'ResampleImageFilter< TInputImage, TOutputImage, TInterpolatorPrecisionType
>:: LinearThreadedGenerateData(...'

method in itkResampleImageFilter.hxx.

The nested while loop over the output iterator (outIt)  in this method takes
ages to finish.

I've tried different multithreading settings (even disabling
multithreading), as some posts elsewhere suggested the problem

might have something to do with that.  As expected on my 4-core processor,
having 4 threads is still

the best setting, so this seems to have nothing to do with it.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Best regards,

Erik