[Insight-users] threshold levels for pixels in itkThresholdImageFilter

Robert Haase robert_haase at gmx.de
Thu Apr 19 02:13:13 EDT 2012

Hi Daniel,

firstly it depends on what image you are trying to threshold. CT images for example usually have values between -1000 and +4000 (hounsfield units). If you are working with a 'crazy' PET (Bequerel per millilitre) or MRI image, your value range may be explainable. If you know what kind of image it is, you should find a definition of the value range in the documentation of the modality. You may also have a look at the tag "0054|1001" in the DICOM eader. It documents in what physical unit the image should be interpreted.

http://dicomlookup.com/lookup.asp?sw=Tnumber&q=%280054,1001%29

Secondly the range depends on what data type your image variable is. If you wish to have it as an unsigned char (range 0-255) you could easily resample any image to a range of 0 to 255 by using itkRescaleIntensityImageFilter.

Best,
Robert

-------- Original-Nachricht --------