[Insight-users] Reference for itkHessian3DToVesselnessMeasureImageFilter

Matthias Schneider schneider at vision.ee.ethz.ch
Thu Apr 19 10:51:49 EDT 2012

Dear all,

I had a look at the implementation of the
itkHessian3DToVesselnessMeasureImageFilter. According to the doc the
filter is supposed to implement Sato's vesselness measure as proposed in
http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/BFb0029240

Reading the paper, I have a feeling that there is either a wrong
reference given in the documentation or the implementation is wrong.
At least I could not find any correspondence between the proposed
vesselness measure (Eq. 16-18) and the ITK implementation - or am I
missing something here? Does anybody know if there is another
publication presenting the implemented vesselness measure? It's
definitely different from Frangi's but it isn't Sato's either.

Any hint is very much appreciated.

Best,
Matthias