[Insight-users] [Insight-developers] Proposal: ITK Remote Modules

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Tue Apr 24 10:27:50 EDT 2012

Matt,

I think that wiki page clears up a lot of my concerns and clarifies how it should be used. It looks good.

I like the way you reiterate the usage of the term algorithms, which I think will help guide that is should not be used for application like tools.

This is likely a different issue, but I think we should put together a suggested way to use ITK as an ExternalProject with customized External and Remote Modules.

Lastly for SimpleITK I have a couple of custom filters and unary functors, would this be a candied for a remote module?

Brad

On Apr 24, 2012, at 2:57 AM, Matt McCormick wrote:

> Dear community members,
>
> The new modularization present in ITKv4 provides new opportunites and
> lowers the barrier of entry for active contribution from community
> members.  The following wiki page and set of Gerrit patches proposes
> to facilitate community engagement and promote project's health by a
> providing a medium for sharing modules without merging them into the
> main repository.  These "Remote Modules" are downloaded on demand.
> There is a low barrier to entry, but at least one nightly dashboard
> submission is required for quality control purposes.
>
> The current status of the proposal has been improved by feedback from
> Xiaoxiao Liu, Bradley Lowekamp, Jim Miller, Bill Lorensen, Luis
> Ibanez, and Arnaud Gelas, but further improvement may be possible.
>
> For more information, see the proposed wiki page, implementation
> patch, and patch for an example remote:
>
>  http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK/Policy_and_Procedures_for_Adding_Remote_Modules
>
>  http://review.source.kitware.com/#/c/5275/
>
>  http://review.source.kitware.com/#/c/5338/