[Insight-users] [Insight-developers] Maintenance branch for the 3.20 series

Matt McCormick matt.mccormick at kitware.com
Tue Apr 24 14:28:55 EDT 2012

Hi Dave,

Tags and named branches serve a different purposes, and we take
advantage of them both.  Tags identify a commit somewhere in the
history that does not change, such as the "v4.0.0" tag.  Named
branches are also identifiers, but they reference the tip of a branch,
which is typically a moving target.  Examples include the shared
"master" and "release" named branches or the temporary named branches
used for topic development.

Matt