[Insight-users] Centerline

Dan Mueller dan.muel at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 20:17:26 EDT 2012

Hi,

If you are fine with manually selecting start and end points on the
path, you might be interested in Fast Marching minimization:
    http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/213

AFAIK VMTK uses the same underlying approach, but the speed function
is fixed (based on Voronoi diagrams):
    http://www.vmtk.org/

Attached are some results I got using Fast Marching minimal paths,
with a distance map as the speed image, I only spent about 10 minutes
on this so you may be able to come up with a better speed function for
more central paths (note: I had to pad the segmented image because the
gradient descent back tracing does not appreciate centerlines near the
edge of an image).

HTH

Cheers, Dan