[Insight-users] Cannot build ITK

Pratik Talole pratiktalole at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 03:37:01 EDT 2012

Hi,

I am trying to setup ITK for Visual Studio 2010.

However, I am having trouble with "itksys-4.1.lib". Here is what I did :

I have created a seperate source and bin directory. For the source
directory, I have pasted the contents of *'InsightToolkit-4.1.0' *into it*.
*Whereas the bin directory is empty to begin with. Then I opened CMake and
gave it the paths for the src and bin directories respectively. First, I
clicked Configure, then Generate. I unchecked 3 checkboxes that were
checked by default : Build_Test, Build_All_Modules and Build_Examples* *before
I hit Generate.

The first problem I face is when I open the ITK.sln file inside the bin
folder. Opening the .sln file loads 824 projects, which are a lot many and
cause my Visual Studio to either crash or respond excruciatingly slowly.
I try to build the project 'AllBuild', but I dont even see a build log get
generated. Literally, nothing happens, it just says Build Started and
doesnt say anything after that even after 2 hours.
I cancelled the build then, and tried to run the HelloWorld program.
As mentioned in the software guide, I copy pasted the 'CMakeLists.txt' and
HelloWorld.cpp files into a new src directory. Then I started CMake. Gave
the path of this src directory and the path of another empty bin directory,
and got it configured and generated.
Then, I opened the HelloWorld.Sln file. But when I try to build it, I get
the error : "LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file
'F:\ITK\bin\lib\Release\itksys-4.1.lib'"

Can someone please help me see what I am doing wrong? At this point I am
only trying to run HelloWorld.

Appreciate your help,
Pratik