[Insight-users] Question about StatisticsOpeningLabelMapFilter

kumis kkumis at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 21:29:04 EDT 2012

Thanks for Your replies.

I have finally managed to put data into the StatisticsOpeningLabelMapFilter
using following filters:

typedef
itk::LabelImageToStatisticsLabelMapFilter<LabelMapToLabelImageFilterType::OutputImageType,
SSImageType> LabelImageToStatisticsLabelMapFilterType;
LabelImageToStatisticsLabelMapFilterType::Pointer li2sli =
LabelImageToStatisticsLabelMapFilterType::New();
li2sli->SetInput(labelMapToLabelImageFilter->GetOutput());
li2sli->SetFeatureImage(inputImage);
li2sli->Update();

typedef
itk::StatisticsOpeningLabelMapFilter<LabelImageToStatisticsLabelMapFilterType::OutputImageType>
StatisticsOpeningLabelMapFilterType;
StatisticsOpeningLabelMapFilterType::Pointer statisticsOpening =
StatisticsOpeningLabelMapFilterType::New();
statisticsOpening->SetAttribute(StatisticsOpeningLabelMapFilterType::LabelObjectType::MEAN);
statisticsOpening->SetInput(li2sli->GetOutput());
statisticsOpening->SetLambda(-500);
statisticsOpening->Update();

and it compiles without any errors. As I understand
LabelImageToStatisticsLabelMapFilter has 2 inputs:
-feature image (setfeatureimage())- my signed short 2-d image (SSImageType),
I store my initial dicom image here
-input (setinput()) is a label image I got from previous operations (in my
case: binarisation of initial dicom, a bit of morphological filtering,
labeling objects on binary image and finally converting labelMap to
labelImage )

StatisticsOpeningLabelMapFilter has typical arguments for "opening" (not
morphological operation but removing labeled objects based on values of
chosen attributes) and the input in my case (I am not sure if I do this
correct) is a statistics label map.

I must admit that this statistics opening filters are a mystery to me -
though I have ussed simillar (?) shape opening filters with success before.
Am I setting all inputs correctly? What is the output of
StatisticsOpeningLabelMapFilter ? Is it statistics label map that needs
convertion to label image? I found myself without idea how this filter
works.