[Insight-users] How to make NMI faster?

Josem jose at apollomit.com
Tue Dec 11 17:53:08 EST 2012

Hello I am looking for ways on how to make NMI run faster; the implementation
in :
"itkNormalizedMutualInformationHistogramImageToImageMetric.h"
is slow and we need something that could run  faster.

This is a follow up of this earlier thread:
http://itk-users.7.n7.nabble.com/Modifying-Mattes-MI-to-provide-a-Normalized-MI-td30155.html#a30166

I found this post earlier:
http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/insight-users/2006-May/017911.html
but it seems outdated, It says that I should modify the lines 815-832, but
in today's implementation the code is different.

So I am modifying Mattes MI by changing the following line:
 //sum += jointPDFValue * ( pRatio - vcl_log(fixedImagePDFValue) );

with this one:
sum +=
vcl_log(fixedImagePDFValue*movingImagePDFValue)/vcl_log(jointPDFValue);

This modification looks like a good practical way of calculating the
normalized mutual information, using the
itkMattesMutualInformationImageToImageMetric.hxx implementation.

Please feel free to share any thoughts or suggestions.
thanks in advance.
Jose