[Insight-users] Texture feature extraction

Kim, Eun Young eunyoung-kim at uiowa.edu
Fri Feb 10 09:35:38 EST 2012

Hello Dženan,

I have investigated a little bit about the texture, including GLCM, and realized it is not a trivial problem. The texture feature is indeed attractive, however as you already realized that it is not realistic to use in the segmentation process as it is in ITK. (Our team also had been tried to improve the ITK filter.) There have been a lots of trials making it faster besides ITK, but mostly from the 'hardware'. This paper is one of the approach to enhance the computation time (and might help you to understand):

Texture, I., & Extraction, F. (2009). MSc THESIS Implementing Texture Feature Extraction Algorithms on FPGA. Electrical Engineering.

I have looked at several other articles a while ago, and remember that most of the solution/research were based on hardware.
As far as I know, there is no really good improvement in algorithmic way yet.
Please let me know if I have a wrong perspective about textures. I would love to use textures in my work as well. :)

Thank you.

Regina (Eun young)