[Insight-users] Getting "Cannot allocate memory" when compiling Modules/ITKReview

pmon mail pmon.mail at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 08:37:08 EST 2012

Hi

I'm compiling ITK on XUbuntu x86 32bit (3Gb RAM and 3Gb swap) with gcc.

When the compilation gets to the sources in
*InsightToolkit-4.0.0/bin/Wrapping/Modules/ITKReview
*g++ stops working and sends the following error to the output: "*virtual
memory exhausted: Cannot allocate memory".*
*
*
No need to say that the system monitoring utilities are indeed showing that
the memory is exhausted.
*
*
Is there anyone who has seen the phenomenon? Or knows how to deal with it?
Does it only compile with gcc on x86-64?

Thanks
PMon

p.s.: in addition to that, when I have been investigated this issue, I have
ran the compiler in preprocessing mode (-E) to see of the C preprocessor is
dying or the compiler and it turned out the that pre-processed source file
is bigger than 500 Mb! Is this normal?