[Insight-users] Rigid3DTransform make error

Johnson, Hans J hans-johnson at uiowa.edu
Sat Jan 7 10:45:14 EST 2012

The Rigid3DTransform has the right general purpose name for the
functionality that most people want to accomplish, but the implementation
of the base class is not stable or optimal or suitable for many real world
problems.

This was a common reoccurring problem over the years with end user
confusion.

As Brian alluded to, the itkEuler3DTransform.h
,itkVersorRigid3DTransform.h or the itkQuaternionRigidTransform.h are all
specific variants of Rigid transformations that are much more appropriate
for accomplishing rigid transformations.

My personal favorite is the itkVersorRigid3DTransform, it is robust, and
has a good well tuned optimizer.  I also use the Euler3DTransform when I
know that I need specific constraints on which angles should be more
constrained.

It is not too hard to convert from one to the other.

Hans