[Insight-users] DenseFrequencyContainer error

Yanling Liu vrnova at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 13:11:14 EST 2012

Hello,

I have encountered some errors when using itk to generate histogram for
scalar images:

itk::ExceptionObject (0x380c7b0)

Location: "bool
itk::Statistics::DenseFrequencyContainer::IncreaseFrequency(long unsigned
int, float)"

File:
C:\Users\liuy5\Imaging\Libraries\MinGW\ITK\InsightToolkit-3.20.1\src\Code\Numerics\Statistics\itkDenseFrequencyContainer.cxx

Line: 84

container saturated for Instance

Here is the info of the dataset causing the DenseFrequencyContainer to
panic.

Width:  75.79 mm (960)
Height:  75.79 mm (960)
Depth:  7.53 mm (54)
Resolution:  12.667 pixels per mm
Voxel size: 0.08x0.08x0.14 mm
Bits per pixel: 16 (unsigned)

By looking into source code of DenseFrequencyContainer I see there is a
numeric limitation:

line 80: const FrequencyType largestIntegerThatFitsInFloat = 16777216;

the 16777216 doesn't seems to be large enough, for example 960*960*54 (X *
Y * Z) would be larger than the number.

May I have some help to solve the problem?

Thanks
Yanling