[Insight-users] Problem with VolumeRendering/vtkOpenGLGPUVolumeRayCastMapper.cxx and ATI AMD Radeon HD 6450

devis peressutti devis.peressutti at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 06:47:43 EST 2012

Hi all,

I tried to run the example itkVtkImageConvert but got the following error
when running it :

ERROR: In
/data/dp11/workspace/VTK/VolumeRendering/vtkOpenGLGPUVolumeRayCastMapper.cxx,
line 4173
vtkOpenGLGPUVolumeRayCastMapper (0x2c395e0): Rendering failed because the
following OpenGL extensions are required but not supported:

I'm using the folowing graphic card

OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon HD 6450
OpenGL version string: 4.1.10665 Compatibility Profile Context

on Ubuntu 11.04 and looking at vtkOpenGLGPUVolumeRayCastMapper.cxx, I think
the problem is in the LoadExtensions method :

  const char *gl_vendor=reinterpret_cast<const char
*>(glGetString(GL_VENDOR));
  if(strstr(gl_vendor,"ATI")!=0)
    {
    this->LoadExtensionsSucceeded=0;
    return;
    }
  const char *gl_version=reinterpret_cast<const char
*>(glGetString(GL_VERSION));
  if(strstr(gl_version,"Mesa")!=0)
    {
    // - GL_VENDOR cannot be used because it can be "Brian Paul" or
    // "Mesa project"
    // - GL_RENDERER cannot be used because it can be "Software Rasterizer"
or
    // "Mesa X11"
    // - GL_VERSION is more robust. It has things like "2.0 Mesa 7.0.4" or
    // "2.1 Mesa 7.2" or "2.1 Mesa 7.3-devel"
    // Mesa does not work with multiple draw buffers:
    // "framebuffer has bad draw buffer"
    // "render clipped 1 ERROR (x506) invalid framebuffer operation ext"
    this->LoadExtensionsSucceeded=0;
    return;
    }

How can I modify it or what can I do to make it run on my system?

Thank you very much in advance.

Devis