[Insight-users] Unexpected results when reading 2D dicom images using ITK v4.1

Yulia.Arzhaeva at csiro.au Yulia.Arzhaeva at csiro.au
Tue Jun 5 06:58:03 EDT 2012

Hi,

I've recently upgraded my projects to ITK v4.1 from ITK v3.20. But it looks like GDCM image reader from ITK v4.1 interprets my 2D DICOM images differently. Namely, their intensities are inverted. I've got 16-bit images with 0..1023 range of intensities. What was a pixel intensity I with ITK v3.20 would become (1023 - I) with ITK v4.1. And it is not correct what ITK v4.1 is doing. I understand that ITK v4.1 uses a newer version of GDCM (2.0.17). I have compiled and run ITK tests from both v3.20 and v4.1: ITKIOGDCMTestDriver with itkGDCMImageIOTest for ITK v4.1 and DicomImageReadWrite from ITK v3.20. These tests also give me different outputs for the two ITK versions. Could you please help me figure out what is going on? I will provide my input image to whoever is going to look into this problem.
Thanks a lot,
Yulia