[Insight-users] Can a metric be negative in ITK?

Christopher Kappe cpkappe at gmx.de
Fri Mar 2 09:47:15 EST 2012

Hello everybody,

I'm new to this list.
I'm trying to do registration with two 3D images. I basically used the
ImageRegistration8.cxx example (using itk 4.0 btw) but with
MattesMutualInformationMetric instead of MeanSquaresMetric.
And, well, I got output like this from the observer:

0   -0.00130253
1   -0.000181399
2   -0.00019049
3   -5.82618e-06
4   -6.76423e-06
5   -1.81517e-05
6   -1.78196e-05
7   -7.79246e-06
8   -4.0121e-06
9   -3.87818e-06
10   -1.20782e-05
11   -2.655e-06
12   -1.13154e-05
13   -7.53967e-06
14   -8.0584e-06
15   -3.52788e-06
16   -2.35729e-06
17   -5.10754e-06
18   -6.61478e-05
19   -0.000101335
49   -0.000806308
Optimizer stop condition: VersorRigid3DTransformOptimizer: Maximum number of
iterations (50) exceeded.
          Probe Tag    Starts    Stops             Time (s)
        Registration           1            1           4509.42

The thing is, it's not even converging (at least not towards 0).
And is it okay to get a negative metric as result in the first place?

Best
Paul Muetze