[Insight-users] Experts Opinion

Félix C. Morency felix.morency at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 17:47:41 EDT 2012

I would like to mention that you can use the VTK/ITK Python wrappers
for rapid application prototyping.

You could also keep an eye on SimpleITK [1], a simplified layer on top of ITK.

[1]: http://www.simpleitk.org/

-Félix

2012/3/14 Dženan Zukić <dzenanz at gmail.com>:
> You are right about no drag and drop for VTK. However, most of us use Qt for
> UI - it combines quite well with VTK. If you are familiar with Qt it is
> easy. If you are not, stick with what you know.
>
> 2012/3/14 Santhosh Ramankutty <arsanthosh at gmail.com>
>>
>> Hello Dženan,
>>
>> Thank you for your response. I will consider your points. Right now I am
>> more inclined towards creating UI using WPF SlimDX. Because creating UI will
>> be much faster I believe. But I am planning to try ITK+VTK also to see its
>> advantages, from my understanding VTK UI development will be more time
>> consuming, due to learning curve and there is no drag and drop options to
>> create the UI. Please correct me if I am wrong.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Santhosh.
>> 2012/3/13 Dženan Zukić <dzenanz at gmail.com>
>>>
>>> ITK relies on GDCM to read DICOM files. Instead of ITK, you could use
>>> GDCM directly.
>>>
>>> Unless you need something other than 2D and 3D visualization (such as
>>> audio, video playback etc), I would go with ITK+VTK. There is some
>>> redundancy and an occasional problem, but they cooperate easier than, let's
>>> say, ITK+OSG.

Félix C. Morency, M.Sc.
Plateforme d’analyse et de visualisation d’images
Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Sherbrooke
Centre de recherche clinique Étienne-Le Bel
Local Z5-3031 | 819.346.1110 ext 16634