[Insight-users] How to smooth the segmented surface

Kent Ogden ogdenk at upstate.edu
Tue Mar 20 08:50:17 EDT 2012

Xiaopeng,

This is a fundamental limitation of your data that can only truly be solved by reconstructing thinner slices at the time of the scan.  You could interpolate between images to generate more slices, which would result in a smoother looking rendering.  If you are trying to make quantitative measurements (e.g. volume) you must be careful about these kinds of manipulations though.

Kent

>>> "Xiaopeng Yang" <yxp233 at postech.ac.kr> 3/19/2012 10:17 PM >>>

Dear Users,

I have tried to segment the liver from 5 mm CT slices. When I tried to visualize the segmented liver in 3D, I found that the surface of the 3D liver was discrete, just like stairs. I guess that is because of the 5 mm interval between CT slices. Do you guys have any good idea how to make the 3D surface of the liver look continuous and smooth?

Thanks,
Xiaopeng