[Insight-users] Chan and Vese Internal & External Term in the levelsetsv4 framework?

Arnaud Gelas arnaudgelas at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 04:04:16 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 8:52 AM, tomtom <ms.rit at web.de> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I have studied the implementation of the internal and external Chan and
> Vese
> Term and the corresponding Chan and Vese paper and to be honest, I am a bit
> confused.
>
> As far as I understand things right now, the itk::Internal... and
> itk::External... are not the same as in the paper. (Especially the naming
> seems to be strange. Aren't booth terms part of the external term,
> regarding
> the paper?

These terms are actually a generalization of the Chan and Vese paper for N
level sets.
I am not sure to totally understand your question here... Can you be more
clear here, please?

> Where does the internal energy come from? Or isn't it included at all, and
> the curve moves just until the criterion has reached a "somehow" steady
> state? (For synthetic images this may work, but not for real data.)

Without the code, it is difficult to know what you are doing.
Anyway, in the new framework users are responsible to gather all terms in
the term container. Make sure there is a the internal term, the external
term and the curvature term.
There is actually one test in the level set module which demonstrate its
application (can' tell you which one right now).

> Any remarks would be helpful. Thanks.

If you share the code with me, I can have a look and tell you what could be
wrong, or track down potential bugs if any...

Best,
Arnaud

> --

Arnaud Gelas, Ph. D.