[Insight-users] SimpleITK Build Issues VS 2008 (x64)

Scott Johnson Scott.Johnson at neuwave.com
Fri Mar 30 15:04:13 EDT 2012

Hello,

I've been attempting to use SimpleITK under Windows 7 (x64) and Visual Studio 2008 and CMake 2.8.5.  The goal is to use the C# wrappers.

First, I downloaded SimpleITK-0.4.0-CSharp-Win64-anycpu.zip and attempted to add a reference to SimpleITKCSharpManaged.dll to my solution.  VS didn't recognize the dll as being valid.  (Now I'm assuming that the dll was built against VS 2010 and isn't backward compatible.)

I then downloaded the source tree with the intent to build it myself.  (I've tried with both the source package from sourceforge and checking out the most recent code from GIT.)  I have been attempting to follow the directions at http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Release_4/SimpleITK/FAQ.

When I first ran CMake I was given an error reading:

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:117 (message):

SimpleITK requires usage of C99 stdint.

It may be available as an optional download for your compiler.

Please see the FAQ for details and to see if your compiler is supported.

http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Release_4/SimpleITK/FAQ#Do_I_need_to_download_an_optional_package_for_C99.3F

I downloaded the Visual C++ 2008 Feature Pack Release via the link on the web site and attempted to install it.  It failed because the installer said that I didn't have the proper features installed for the update.  I also grabbed the stdint.h file and copied it to the location called out in the directions.  I've searched for a 64 bit version of this feature pack with no luck.  I did find Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Feature Pack Redistributable Package (x64) but that didn't help.

CMake continues to give me errors and I've tracked the initial error to a line in the CMakeLists.txt file which reads:
check_include_file_cxx( stdint.h SITK_HAS_STDINT_H )
I've been looking around to find out what paths are searched by check_include_file_cxx to no avail.  But evidently C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9/0\VC\include isn't one of them.

If possible I'd like to get this to work under VS 2008 and I'd appreciate any help I can get.  Right now I'm out of ideas as to what is going wrong.

Thanks

                                -- Scott