[Insight-users] Splines

SELMA GÜZEL slm_guzel at hotmail.com
Sat May 5 18:20:25 EDT 2012

Hello,

I need a good resource for understanding splines very well. In fact, I studied different resources but something is not clear enough for me.

For example, when we use piecewise cubic splines, we find an equation for each curve segment corresponding the local segments of a shape, am I correct?
Then, how can we calculate a general function that we can use for any segment at the end? Or, do we transform each part separately, namely use each curve segment equation for a point within that local part? Are the weighted mean approach used for this problem? If yes, how can we calculate the weights for each part?

My mathematical background is not sufficient to comprehend all aspects, could you explain splines including TPS a bit? And/or could you recommend some good resources to understand splines from the point of image registration?

Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
Selma