[Insight-users] Waterfall segmentation algorithm and mean curvature for mesh

Jana Sefcikova neollie at gmail.com
Fri May 11 19:38:09 EDT 2012

Hi Alexandre,
thank you for your response.

1) Segmentation
 I am looking for some algorithm based on region growing,edge detection,
split-and merge, waterfall (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segmentation_%28image_processing%29) or other
'shape' segmenting algorithm  for polygonal meshes (prefered data formats
obj, ply ) that could be used for segmenting mesh into 'smooth' (having
relative curvature within region under some treshold) surfaces /regions/.
Reference article could be "Partitioning 3D Surgace Meshes Using Watershed
Segmentation" by Mangan and Whitaker.

2) Curvatures
I read article in the mention journal, but i can not find there a reference
article for Meyer02  ? Which article is meant by this ?
I already tested  vtkCurvature on great part of known Stanfords polygonal
meshes  and curvatures scalar ranges are really .. really high, I would
like try other existing possibilitites before potential reimplementing or
tresholding. I will try to check mention class, thanks again.

Is there some example for computing curvature with tensors in itk ?

Best regards,
Jana