[Insight-users] Label Disconnection

Sergio Vera sergio.vera at alma3d.com
Wed May 23 06:41:14 EDT 2012

Pietro,

Is your segmentation really disconnected or is an issue with visualization?
I mean, marching cubes isovolumes often do not work extremelly well with
thin structures, and they generate apparently unconnected structures while
in the binary 27-connected neighborhood everithing is connected. This is
specially true on thin or small regions.

If objects are really unconnected some options are hole filling methods
(morphologycal closing) or iterativeVotingHoleFill filters

Regards

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Pietro Nardelli <pie.nardelli at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I have a question: does anyone know how could fix disconnected label?
> I explain: I'm developing a module to segment the airway of the lung
> starting from a DICOM dataset, and in order to do so I'm using a
> threshold connected method. Now, since this method use a
> 26-neighborhood region growing, I get some disconnected pieces of
> branches (I've attached a picture of what I mean). Does something
> exist to create a piece of label in order to fix these gaps?
>

> Thanks so much,
>
> Pietro

Sergio Vera

 Alma IT Systems