[Insight-users] ITK and VTK

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed May 23 19:26:30 EDT 2012

HI Pietro,

It depends where in your application you are extracting the region.

If you are doing it in the code that deals with visualization and the
resulting region is only going to be used for display, then the VTK
filter will do just fine.

On the other hand, if you are doing this in the middle of a pipeline
and the extracted region is going to be used for subsequent
processing, you probably should prefer the ITK Region of Interest
filter:

http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1RegionOfInterestImageFilter.html

since it preserves the orientation (direction cosines) of the image,
and properly sets the origin in physical coordinates of the output
image region.  This are very important attributes if you are using
the resulting image in registration, or if you plan to correlate it
spatially to the input image.

    Hope this helps,

         Luis