[Insight-users] How to determine minimum between two maximums of a histogram?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon May 28 17:41:44 EDT 2012

Hi TomTom,

Option A:

Would you consider the option of using the Otsu Threshold Calculator ?
http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1OtsuThresholdCalculator.html

This will not necessarily give you the minimum between the two classes,
but, it will give you the point that maximize the variance.

Option B:

You can treat your histogram as a 1-D image, and use the filter:
http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1MinimumMaximumImageFilter.html

that will return the location of the minima and maxima.

To convert from Histogram to Image you can use:
http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1HistogramToImageFilter.html

and if Smoothing of the histogram is required,
you can also use any of the ITK smoothing
filters, in that 1-D image to which you just
converted your Histogram.