[Insight-users] SimpleITK cannot build

Dan Mueller dan.muel at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 06:38:05 EST 2012

Hi Lisa,

Please see my responses inline below.

On 4 November 2012 04:29, Lisa Dean <lisadean.leo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi ITK users out there,
>
> I love ITK's functionality and I'd also like to use GUIs in this specific project that I'm working on. I checked around on the ITK related sites and all I could come up with was that if I want to link ITK with C# I better try out Simple ITK so here I am.

If you want to use ITK from a .NET application, then yes, SimpleITK is
one of the options.

Are you required to use C# for your GUI? If not, you may consider
using either native ITK or SimpleITK with any number of graphical user
frameworks, like QT for instance.

> I'm assuming Simple ITK provides C# wrapping for ITK filters possibly not all of them but that is the essence. Is there something else I can use or is SimpleITK it?

A previous project -- ManagedITK -- is not longer supported. Besides
SimpleITK, the only other option is to encapsulate native ITK (C++) in
a DLL and use the P/Invoke functionality to access from a .NET
application. This is actually my preferred method, as I am comfortable
using native ITK and C++, and it gives me maximum flexibility.
SimpleITK is much easier but less flexible.

> Also while trying to build the binaries for SimpleITK I blundered across the following errors. Usually I manage to get around these but for some reason (I guess my brain has been refusing to work) I've been stuck with these errors for 2 days. They are probably just 2 minutes work for somebody out there so could you help me out please? I'm pasting the error report -

Hmmm. I have never encountered this error. What version of
ITK/SimpleITK are you trying to build? What OS/compiler versions? Are
you using the SuperBuild option? (SuperBuild is highly recommended).

The automated build on Win 7 using Visual Studio 9 for the latest
release (0.5.1) builds successfully:
    http://open.cdash.org/viewTest.php?onlypassed&buildid=2642787

BTW: you can download pre-built SimpleITK .NET dlls from here:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/simpleitk/files/SimpleITK/0.5.1/CSharp/

> Found the following C# .NET versions: v4.0.30319, v3.5, v2.0.50727
>
> Processing json files...
>
> Processing json files...done
>
> Found the following C# .NET versions: v4.0.30319, v3.5, v2.0.50727
>
> Using .NET compiler version v2.0.50727
>
> CMake Error at CMake/UseCSharp.cmake:88 (list):
>
> list sub-command SORT only takes one argument.
>
> Call Stack (most recent call first):
>
> CMake/UseCSharp.cmake:42 (CSHARP_ADD_PROJECT)
>
> Wrapping/CMakeLists.txt:286 (csharp_add_library)
>
> CMake Error at Wrapping/CMakeLists.txt:290 (add_dependencies):
>
> add_dependencies Adding dependency to non-existent target:
>
> SimpleITKCSharpManaged
>
> CMake Error at CMake/UseCSharp.cmake:88 (list):
>
> list sub-command SORT only takes one argument.
>
> Call Stack (most recent call first):
>
> CMake/UseCSharp.cmake:46 (CSHARP_ADD_PROJECT)
>
> Testing/Unit/CMakeLists.txt:338 (csharp_add_executable)
>
> Testing/Unit/CMakeLists.txt:372 (add_csharp_test)
>
> Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
>

> Another tiny little problem that I'd like to have out of the way too. I've been using ITK for some time now. But, only very recently did I decide to port to ITKv4. My question is - Is OpenCl a necessity for itkv4?

AFAIK OpenCL is not required for ITKV4. It is only used if you enable
the GPU option.

HTH

Cheers, Dan