[Insight-users] MRI Image Head Area Mask

Sebastian Widz widz at infovision.pl
Mon Nov 12 02:43:51 EST 2012

Dear ITK Team and ITK Users,

I am looking for an ITK solution to the following task:

For a given T1 weighted MRI Brain Image (Axial plane) create a binary mask
that would mark the head region (extract head object from the background)

In the past I've been doing it by analyzing image histogram, finding the
first peak, then finding the first local minimum (m) value with magnitude
values greater than the histogram peak.

Pixels with values with magnitude lower or equal (m) were marked with zeros
(0), pixels with higher values where marked as ones (1).

Then some "hole filling" algorithm needs to be applied in order to create a
convex shape.

Can the same be done with ITK filters (possibly SimpleITK as I use the C#
Managed version)?

Maybe there are some other ways you would suggest, as my way not always
gives expected .

Best Regards,

Sebastian