[Insight-users] build fails to download gccxml (4.2.1)

Matt McCormick matt.mccormick at kitware.com
Mon Nov 12 11:41:48 EST 2012

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 4:30 PM, David Froger <david.froger at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 16:47:32 +0100, David Froger <david.froger at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Brad, hi Matt,
>>
>> > Brad is right -- in master, we have replaced the GCCXML cvs fetch with
>> > a simple tarball download.  Please try Git master.
>>
>> Thanks for your replies! I'm going to try from the Git master.
>>
>> Thanks again,
>> David
>
> I get this error:
>
>     CMake Warning (dev) at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/ExternalProject.cmake:160 (message):
>       unknown ExternalProject_Add keyword: STEP_TARGETS
>     Call Stack (most recent call first):
>       /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/ExternalProject.cmake:907 (_ep_parse_arguments)
>       Wrapping/Generators/GccXML/CMakeLists.txt:26 (ExternalProject_add)
>     This warning is for project developers.  Use -Wno-dev to suppress it.

What version of CMake is this?  (cmake --version)

>     CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/ExternalProject.cmake:694 (message):
>       Could not extract tarball filename from url:
>
>         http://itk.org/files/gccxml/gccxml-2012-08-08.tar.bz2;URL_MD5;199924259f913a914f7084213b71d6da
>     Call Stack (most recent call first):
>       /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/ExternalProject.cmake:941 (_ep_add_download_command)
>       Wrapping/Generators/GccXML/CMakeLists.txt:26 (ExternalProject_add)
>

> However, http://itk.org/files/gccxml/gccxml-2012-08-08.tar.bz2 is valid.
>
> I would like to make a stable install of ITK (with Python wrapping) for the team I work with.
>
> What would you recommand? As the Wiki say, the master branch may contain the "cutting edge bugs" :).

While the master may contain "cutting edge bugs", we generally have a
good software quality process in the Insight Toolkit, so it is more
likely to contain fewer bugs than the latest release.  A good sanity
check, though is the Nightly Dashboard:

  http://open.cdash.org/index.php?project=Insight

> Should I install http://itk.org/files/gccxml/gccxml-2012-08-08.tar.bz2 on my system, and
> then use ITK 4.2.1, with -DITK_USE_SYSTEM_GCCXML=ON and -DGCCXML=/path/to/the/installed/xml ?

That would work, too.

Thanks,
Matt