[Insight-users] GDCM Separate diffusion images by b-value

kosborn kevin.osborn at UNSWalumni.com
Tue Oct 23 07:33:16 EDT 2012

Instead of trying to bypass the bug, a better solution is to fix it as
someone else pointed out in an earlier thread.  Edit the file
InsightToolkit-4.2.1/Modules/ThirdParty/GDCM/src/gdcm/Source/MediaStorageAndFileFormat/gdcmSerieHelper.cxx

and change the SetUseSeriesDetails method to

    void SerieHelper::SetUseSeriesDetails( bool useSeriesDetails )
    {
          //UseSeriesDetails = useSeriesDetails;
          m_UseSeriesDetails = useSeriesDetails;
    }

and rebuild ITK. Then the AddSeriesRestriction method of GDCMSeriesFileNames
works as it should. In my case

        itk::GDCMSeriesFileNames::Pointer nameGenerator =
itk::GDCMSeriesFileNames::New();
        nameGenerator->SetLoadSequences(true);
        nameGenerator->SetLoadPrivateTags(true);
        nameGenerator->SetUseSeriesDetails(true);
        nameGenerator->AddSeriesRestriction("0019|100c");
        nameGenerator->SetDirectory("path/to/dicom/files");
        itk::SerieUIDContainer uids = nameGenerator->GetSeriesUIDs();

gives me as many series uids are there are b-values, using 0019|100c as the
private Siemens tag for b-values.

Good luck, Kevin

Alessandro wrote