[Insight-users] enhancing plate like structures (by modifying itkHessianSmoothed3DToVesselnessMeasureImageFilter)

Dr. Roman Grothausmann grothausmann.roman at mh-hannover.de
Wed Sep 5 12:03:04 EDT 2012

Dear all,

 From http://hdl.handle.net/1926/576 page 3, paragraph after eq. 11 I
understand that itkHessianToObjectnessMeasureImageFilter only can
enhance structure of dimension m=0, 1 or n-1. In case n=3, m=2=n-1 (my
case) this would be just what I need but my tests yielded identical
results for m= 1 or 2 (same md5sum for both outputs:-( ). Based on table
1, p 133 of (A. F. Frangi et. al Multiscale vessel enhancement
filtering, 1998) I would expect that to enhance plate-like structures
the weighting function would have to be changed in such a way that when
the three eigenvalues full fill l1~l2<<l3 (instead of l1<<l2~l3 for
vessels), Ra->inf and Rb->0. Accordingly, the weighing function e.g eq.
1 in http://hdl.handle.net/1926/576 enhances structures for which Ra~1
and Rb~0.

Using eq. 10 and 11 (http://hdl.handle.net/1926/576) for m=n-1: Ra is
not defined and Rb=l2/l3~0. However, I would think that exchanging l1
and l3 and using Rb=l2*l1/l3 in the weighing function would again lead
to Ra~1 and Rb~0. I've to check if for some reason my code-modifications
caused something different.

Many thanks for all Your help and suggestions.
Roman

On 05/09/12 15:01, Luca Antiga wrote:
> Dear Roman and all, the itkHessianToObjectnessMeasureImageFilter in
> ITK Review should allow you to select the target object
> dimensionality (blob vs line vs plate) by calling SetObjectDimension
> (0 vs 1 vs 2, respectively; as a note, the filter with dimensionality
> 1 corresponds to Frangi's vesselness). One aspect you should be very
> careful about is the scale (or the scale range if you use this filter
> through itkMultiScaleHessianBasedMeasureImageFilter) expressed in
> physical units. You can get an example of the use of the filter here
> http://hdl.handle.net/1926/576 Hope this helps
>
> Luca
>

> On Sep 5, 2012, at 2:41 PM, Ho Cheung wrote:
>
>> Hi Dr. Grothausmann,
>>
>> The measure in ITK appears to be based on Sato
>> (http://www.spl.harvard.edu/archive/spl-pre2007/pages/papers/yoshi/node3.html#SECTION00021000000000000000)
>> and I don't see an easy way to modify it so that it detects plate
>> like structures instead of line like structures.
>>
>> If speed is not a major concern for you, may I suggest you
>> implement a similar measure? Frangi's original vesselness
>> enhancement formula
>> (http://www.dtic.upf.edu/~afrangi/articles/miccai1998.pdf) can be
>> easily modified for what you need and is based on Eigenvalues like
>> Sato.
>>
>> According to equations 10, 11, 12, 13 in Frangi's paper and my
>> interpretation of what the measures do, what you need is high Ra,
>> Rb, and S values, so the formula becomes:
>>
>> V = [1 - exp(-Ra^2/2a^2)][1 - exp(-Rb^2/2b^2)][1 - exp(-S^2/2c62)]
>>
>> Hope, this helps,
>>
>> Ho Cheung Research Assistant Bio-Image Analytics Laboratory -
>> University of Houston (832) 215-6347
>>

>> On Sep 5, 2012, at 3:36 AM, Dr. Roman
>> Grothausmann<grothausmann.roman at mh-hannover.de>  wrote:
>>
>>> Dear mailing list members, dear Luca,
>>>

>>> Recently I was trying to enhance vascular structures from airways
>>> with the vessel enhancement filters from ITK (objectness and
>>> vessel enhancement). The  problem is that these vessels are not
>>> filled in the tomograms our imaging technique yields. Only the
>>> airway walls are imaged, which corresponds to an uneven 2D
>>> surface. Since it is only a 3D not an ND problem, I tried to
>>> modify itkHessianSmoothed3DToVesselnessMeasureImageFilter to
>>> enhance not vessels (1D) structures but plates/walls. Therefore I
>>> exchanged lambda 1 and 3 in the weighting function. Sadly, I
>>> could not get the filter  to enhance the airway walls. Have I
>>> missed anything or would enhancing plateness this way only work
>>> for not-curved planes?
>>>

>>> Here the important part of the diff of my changes:
>>>
>>> diff -au
>>> itk/IJ-Vessel_Enhancement_Diffusion.1/itkHessianSmoothed3DToVesselnessMeasureImageFilter.txx
>>> itk/plateness3D_01/itkHessianSmoothed3DToPlatenessMeasureImageFilter.txx

+      ////swap Lambda1 and Lambda3 to enhance "plateness"