[Insight-users] FEM modelling

Antony Carver bowler0_uk at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 14 16:37:14 EDT 2012

Dear list,

I am looking at the possibility of using the ITK FEM deformable registration tool to perform some mechanical modelling of an image. I would like to split my image into two parts representing a diaphragm and a lung. I then want to look at how the lung is deformed by the movement of the diaphragm. I have so far managed to load my image and turn it into a mesh (essentially following the deformable registration tutorial). Is there a mechanism within ITK to effectively
1) have two meshes interacting on the same grid;
2) use the FEM tools as a modelling tool as opposed to a regularisation tool for registration.

Some notes for ITK 4 seem to imply that modelling was going to be an intentional extension of the registration tool in ITK 4 but I can't seem to find any instruction on how to do so. Is it a case of in principle its possible but I have to work out how to do it?

I am fairly used to programming in C++ but comparatively new to ITK.

Thanks,

Tony