[Insight-users] processor + graphics

Radim Žídek zider6a1 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 10:30:23 EDT 2013

     Hi,

     we are about to buy a new PC to our lab and I would like to ask
couple of questions:

1) which processor would perform better with ITK - Intel Core i7 or
Intel Xeon (with otherwise same specifications)? I heard that Xeons
are more suitable for
continuous usage.

2) Can ITK use the computing capacity of dedicated graphics card or is
a graphical chip on the motherboard just fine? And can ITK take
advantage from an additional graphical core integrated into a
processor?

     I am intending to use the PC for image registration with ImageJ (rigid
transformation) and ITK (deformable and affine steps + averaging) in
Linux with Windows for some routine work running on virtual machine
inside of Linux. Analyzed files will be about 400 slices/150MB each x
2-3 channels, multiple
samples at a time (at least 5-10, but sometimes even 50-60, i. e.
1,5-27 GB of input data). Based on my experience, it takes couple
of hours so it will probably occasionally run overnight (plus
8-10 hours/5 days a week for everyday work).

     Thank you in advance.

     Radim