[Insight-users] Little Endian or Big Endian and How to find out

Emma Saunders emmasaunders123 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 13:55:56 EDT 2013

Hi all,

Im running a little endian system,  I am attempting to visualize a
displacement field saved as a .vtk file (float) in matlab, and would like
to compare this to Paraviews display.

When I read the data in matlab using
fid=fopen('deformfield2d.vtk','r','l'); and after iterating to the correct
line:

V = fread(fid,siz,'*single');  V = reshape(V,siz);

The output is nonsense and it appears to be written as big endian, however
the min max values I obtain when reading as big endian don't agree with
paraviews for one of the two components?

Can anyone offer insight into my problem?

Kind regards

Emma