[Insight-users] Guide to compiling WrapITK with Python bindings?

Alistair Muldal alistair.muldal at pharm.ox.ac.uk
Sat Apr 20 13:58:47 EDT 2013

Hello ITKers,

I'm trying build a Python-wrapped version of ITK in order to solve an
image registration problem (since I'm experienced in Python but have
never written C++ before). I gather that SimpleITK does not currently
wrap the registration framework, so I think I would need to build the
WrapITK Python bindings.

I hesitate to ask such a basic question to the mailing list, but I
cannot find a sufficiently detailed guide for building WrapITK with
Python bindings anywhere else.

Specifically, I'd like to know:

 1. What is the distinction between the two different WrapITK projects
    (the one distributed with the ITK sources and the one at Google Code)?
 2. For the Google Code WrapITK project, are there particular versions
    of the ITK and WrapITK sources that are compatible, or should I just
    pull the latest development versions of each?
 3. Do I need to build CableSwig in order to make WrapITK, and if so,
    which version?
 4. Are there specific ccmake options that I need to select when
    compiling ITK in order to make it work with WrapITK?
 5. When compiling WrapITK I have the option to either wrap or not wrap
    certain ITK classes and types. Are there particular parts of ITK
    that cannot currently be wrapped (and I should therefore specify not
    to wrap them in ccmake)?

I am running Ubuntu 12.10, and using gcc/g++ 4.7, CMake 2.8.9, SWIG
2.07, Python 2.7.3 and Doxygen 1.8.1.2.

I'd really appreciate it if you could spare the time to help a newby
out, or point me in the direction of where I can find this information.

Cheers,
Alistair

--
Alistair Muldal