No subject

Wed Apr 10 07:51:04 EDT 2013

for a couple months continuously. Overpriced Xeons are not needed.

GPU support is being introduced into ITK right now:
http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1GPUImage.html
http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/group__ITKGPUAnisotropicSmoothing.html
however not many filters have GPU implementations, so buying expensive
dedicated graphics card probably does not pay off if you use it primarily
with ITK. GPU built into motherboard or processor would be OK.

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 4:30 PM, Radim =C5=BD=C3=ADdek <zider6a1 at gmail.com>=
 wrote:

>      Hi,
>
>      we are about to buy a new PC to our lab and I would like to ask coup=
le of questions:

> 1) which processor would perform better with ITK - Intel Core i7 or Intel=
 Xeon (with otherwise same specifications)? I heard that Xeons are more sui=
table for
> continuous usage.
>
> 2) Can ITK use the computing capacity of dedicated graphics card or is a =
graphical chip on the motherboard just fine? And can ITK take advantage fro=
m an additional graphical core integrated into a processor?

>      I am intending to use the PC for image registration with ImageJ (rig=
id
> transformation) and ITK (deformable and affine steps + averaging) in
> Linux with Windows for some routine work running on virtual machine insid=
e of Linux. Analyzed files will be about 400 slices/150MB each x 2-3 channe=
ls, multiple
> samples at a time (at least 5-10, but sometimes even 50-60, i. e.
> 1,5-27 GB of input data). Based on my experience, it takes couple
> of hours so it will probably occasionally run overnight (plus
> 8-10 hours/5 days a week for everyday work).
>

>      Thank you in advance.
>
>      Radim

--089e01493f963f4a8204db91c803

erif">From my experience, ordinary processor (i7) works just fine overnight=
 or for a couple months=C2=A0continuously. Overpriced Xeons are not needed.=

upport is being introduced into ITK right now:</font></div><div class=3D"gm=
ail_default">

//www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1GPUImage.html</a><font face=3D"verda=
tp://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/group__ITKGPUAnisotropicSmoothing.html">http:=
//www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/group__ITKGPUAnisotropicSmoothing.html</a><br>

entations, so buying expensive dedicated graphics card probably does not pa=
y off if you use it primarily with ITK. GPU built into motherboard or proce=
ssor would be OK.<br>

n Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 4:30 PM, Radim =C5=BD=C3=ADdek <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt=
;<a href=3D"mailto:zider6a1 at gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">zider6a1 at gmail.com=

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr"><pre>     Hi,

     we are about to buy a new PC to our lab and I would like to ask couple=
 of questions:<br><br>1) which processor would perform better with ITK - In=
tel Core i7 or Intel Xeon (with otherwise same specifications)? I heard tha=
t Xeons are more suitable for
continuous usage.<br><br>2) Can ITK use the computing capacity of dedicated=
 graphics card or is a graphical chip on the motherboard just fine? And can=
 ITK take advantage from an additional graphical core integrated into a pro=
cessor?

     I am intending to use the PC for image registration with ImageJ (rigid
transformation) and ITK (deformable and affine steps + averaging) in
Linux with Windows for some routine work running on virtual machine inside =
of Linux. Analyzed files will be about 400 slices/150MB each x 2-3 channels=
, multiple
samples at a time (at least 5-10, but sometimes even 50-60, i. e.
1,5-27 GB of input data). Based on my experience, it takes couple
of hours so it will probably occasionally run overnight (plus
8-10 hours/5 days a week for everyday work).

    =20

     Thank you in advance.<span class=3D"HOEnZb"><font color=3D"#888888"><b=