[Insight-users] Trouble reading 8bit BMP images as a VectorImage

Cyrille Faucheux cyrille.faucheux at etu.univ-tours.fr
Sat Aug 17 11:28:26 EDT 2013

Hi,

I need to read grayscale and RGB bitmap images as itk::VectorImage<double, 3>.
ITK always tells me that the grayscale ones have 3 components per pixels.
I've checked with multiple tools, those images are really 8bits (no color table)

I've dug a little, and found in itkBMPImageIO.cxx a flag named Allow8BitBMP, which is set to false, that forces 8bit BMP files to be recognized as 24bit ones (3 components per pixel).

What is bothering me is that there is no way to change this flag. So, what is its purpose?

Thanks in advance.
Cyrille